Friday, January 22, 2021

Introducing 4 Dice SF RPG (two versions!)

Introduction

I have been tinkering of and off for 8 years on solo RPGs with the aim to run through the Classic Traveller adventures.  After building a number of complex assistance spreadsheets I have created one (well, two) based on a SF variants of the 3 Dice rule.  I tend to play with the more complex version (4 Dice SF PPS RPG) but both are fun.

The SF RPG are available on this blog page.

Background

I have been trimming down my solo RPG spreadsheet to have less and less skills and attributes.  I was down to 8 attributes (no skills as skill level incorporated into a character’s attributes) and then 4.  When I was moving the spreadsheet to 4 attributes I also had a keenness to rope in many of the sprawling supporting tables to all be d6 based.  I started on that path and also looked around at d6 based games.  While doing so re-discovered 3 Dice (an RPG) that I remember looking at a few years ago. I went down a rabbit hole for a week downloading and reading everything on 3 Dice and variants – especially 3 Dice Dungeon and the SF exploration-based version Hex Rangers (archive.org).

The other variants did not really seem to add what I needed so I used 3 Dice. It seemed like a simple enough system so coded it up in a spreadsheet. What I likes it I managed to do it without macros, buttons etc. to drive the game (which is what my previous spreadsheet had grown into). Each row in the spreadsheets had the same formula, based of values in the previous row.  So could play a game just by entering one value (to select the adventurer to use) in each row.  So much simpler to run!  I then quickly moved onto an SF version.

# Dice, And 3 Dice are really good for pulp type adventures.  The idea is not that each scene is very difficult to complete nor equal to the adventuring party in skill/weapons, but that the party need to succeed over a number of scenes ad gradually are worn down as they progress.  Like in pulp movies – how else do the heroes manage to dodge and shoot their way through so much opposition J

4 Dice SF RPG

4 Dice SF takes 3 Dice and makes it more SF-ish.  The main changes are:

  • The three attributes (Mind, Body, Spirit) become three or four adventurers, each adventurer having a single stat.  Each adventurer can have and use gear, weapons or blast.
  • Each task is 4 rolls – location, class, opposition level and reward. Class is the type of opposition – Citizens, Professionals, Achievers, Criminals, Obstacle or Hazard.  Opposition level is the difficulty that the adventurers need to roll against. One reward is now a clue.
  • To provide some adventurer differentiation, each adventurer has a hindrance that gives them a -1 modifier against one particular class.
  • Added in acts: defaulting to four acts, each act takes place in a zone (each has 6 locations).  There are 6 random act goals (e.g. obtain a clue, visit a certain location, encounter a particular class, gain XP).
  • A roll of 6 is a critical failure with the adventurer also having a 50% chance of losing an item.  A roll of 1 is a critical success inflicting two hits instead of 1.
  • There are also options for races, location effects on the game and an end of adventure scene. The rules were designed to run Classic Traveller so the races are all Traveller but could easily be modified.

The non-optional rules fit onto one page, and options another page.  So still quite short. I found that with hindrances, I missed the concept of skills (a positive to the dice roll) and also that gear and weapons could be used against any opposition class.   So I moved to creating a new version.

The 4 Dice SF RPG are available on this blog page.

4 Dice PPS SFRPG

4 Dice PPS SFRPG (PPS is short for Pulp Pure and Simple) adds the concept of skill.  There are three skills and each adventurer may excel at one skill.  Each skill assists with tasks against certain classes.  I also added in restrictions on gear and weapons use to only particular opposition classes.  Skills and gear/weapon restrictions (and skills) do slightly increase complexity but this is offset with an improved narrative (in my opinion).  Other changes:

  • There is a possibility that an adventurer with a stat of 0 may die rather than recover.
  • With an adventurer having a skill, the hindrances are now optional.
  • Changing skills mid scene (e.g. interacting with Citizens then decide to fight (survival skill).
  • On a critical failure (a 6) a adventurer will go out of the fight (ran away, fell unconscious, decides to give up) 50%% of the time or lose an item for the other 50%.  An out of the fight adventurer is not available for the rest of the scene but is Ok for the next scene.
Due to the way I have coded up the spreadsheet, the only entry required is to select an adventurer for a task roll, all the rest can be random.  I did some automation so that optionally each task could select the adventurer with the highest stat (not necessarily the best chance – I kept it simple and ignored skills, gear and weapons for the calculation of “best” adventurer).  I have run this automation about 100 times and the party succeed about a third of the time.  By selecting the best adventurer, I think this would increase to about two thirds.  So the game engine is likely performing ok – not too hard, but not easy.  And a string of bad dice rolls will derail you regardless!  I actually take to time to read the narrative generated automatically (I have a simple translation of the numbers into sentences) as a good way to pass the time.

The 4 Dice SF PPS RPG are available on this blog page.

Where to from here?

Well, I have replayed Annic Nova with 3 Dice SF and also with 4 Dice SFRPG.  My next goal is to programme up the steps for Twilight’s Peak and give it a run through. Or just run some adventures.

I would also like to be able to convert some of the scenes to quickly run them with miniatures using rules such as the Two Hour Wargames Chain Reaction-type rules, and/or expand 4 Dice SFRPG with Possibly some mechanisms from the Four Against Darkness series.  Alas, I fear that may be too time-consuming for me with so many other projects and so will continue to just use 4 Dice SFRPG.

16 comments:

  1. Exciting! Thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to trying out the revised version. The flavor tables look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuo may notice I went with your species table, and then offered an expanded Aliens table Traveller example. The revised version allows (if you wanted to) for a quick tabletop resolution with Out of the Fight and penalties for using the same adventurer more than once in a row. I am working through one now, with pictures! I do need to put in an example up as well.

      Delete
  2. I think I might have asked you this before but what is your narrative difference between the classes of Achievers and Professionals? Are Achievers your sort of ruling class or nobles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Achievers are movers and shakers (and are actually called this in THW!), Professionals (generalising) are those requiring a trade or tertiary studies.

      p.s. I don't think you asked me this before :-) One thing I need to do is write up a page or so of designer notes explaining this sort of thing.

      Delete
  3. Another question: With the optional "zone" rules - have you been doing anything mechanically with regards to moving from one zone+location to a new location in the same zone or a new zone+location from scene to scene (similar to THW) or just handling that narratively?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had a "travel scene" in the very first draft of the rules when going from zone to zone, similar to THW. I then changed to it the first scene of the act was a travel scene - same as a normal scene but no rewards or XP gained. But then I took it out thinking no rewards for a travel scene seemed harsh. I have managed to live without out, and also put down to having them that I was expecting them as I was copying it from THW anyway. I have not missed having travel scenes and haven't thought of enough of a variation to make them different from normal scenes to add them in. But feel free to add them back in - it would add to the narrative!

      Locations change every scene so have not thought it necessary to add in travel.

      Delete
  4. The bonus "Clues" table - I assume you roll this after successfully finding the clue to get some prompt as to what the clue was about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. I found I did not want to just have "clue" as a result but liked to know what the clue was. Can never have too many narrative tables :-)

      Delete
  5. It had been a few weeks since I played this so I re-read your rules and generated the initial party, act, and scene (with some Star Wars flavored changes, so ignore those.) Here's a sample of the results from my generation script that I've coded up:

    ## Adventuring Party

    - Eh (3, Survival) Mighty but Shy Agricultural Jawa
    - RO-1111 (5, Survival) Two-legged Box-shaped Droid
    - Llyl Rilulia (3, Technical) Mighty but Dim Military Human
    - Rodden (5, Technical) Cunning but Intimidated Poor Human

    Notes: I have my own name generators for aliens, humans, and droids - so I used that. I added a ... "style" these are very pulpy in tone:

    "1": "Daring",
    "2": "Mighty",
    "3": "Resourceful",
    "4": "Noble",
    "5": "Vigilant",
    "6": "Cunning"

    This was just for narrative flavor (and fictional positioning as well.) For Droids, I'm still using the rules I lifted from THW to generate some basic details about them.

    ## Story

    Act: Recover items. Success: Obtain two rewards of gear or weapon or blast.
    Aim: Stop a machine/big weapon (high tech/advanced weapon).
    Start at: Desert - Remote (Obstacle Opposition is +1.)

    Scene: At Desert - Remote
    Reward: Recover: +2 to one adventurer stat or +1 to two. Cannot exceed original stat. If stat is 0, a +1 will make the stat a 2.
    Zone Effect: Obstacle Opposition is +1.
    Opposition - face 4 Citizens:
    - Miner
    - Miner
    - Transporter
    - Guide

    Notes: I don't think I changed anything here...

    Now to play :) I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do see one difference - I left the skill generation in for an adventurer even if they have a Stat of 5. I'm not going to use it mechanically but I liked having the fictional understanding of what the character was considered to be highly skilled in.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Star Ward flavour is fine. I am actually playing without aliens. I tend to roll once for opposition class type e.g. if facing four Citizens I roll once for type rather than four times. Just easier!

      For names, I too have a generator for Humans, Robots, etc. Doesn't everyone :-)

      And here is a peek preview of the narrative version of the game I have just started that hope to use with pictures and should become a blog post in future:

      The date is 322 2124 on Murrua, the newly formed APA colony Mars. There is an issue of stolen treasure and a patron has commissioned a team of local investigators for recovery. The investigative team, only formed this year, consists of:
      • Rashad Gillespie, a snobbish male Human from an industrial background with good skills and a survival kit.
      • Noel Santana, an intimidated male Human from an industrial background with average skills and excelling at survival.
      • Annabelle Calhoun, a shy female Human from a rich background with good skills and a vibroknife.
      • Skip, an intelligent robot from a space background with average skills and a vibroknife.

      “So Rashad, what the deal?” Noel asked.
      “Stolen treasure. Intricately carved bones of extinct animals.” Rashad replied.

      Delete
  6. > If you won the scene total the location, opposition and reward dice. For each 6 or part thereof this is your Experience Points rewarded for the scene.

    I'm not sure I understand this section - could you give an example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the location number, opposition number and the reward number. Divide by 6 and any fractions go to the next highest integer. Yeah, could have been written better.

      So location 2, opposition 2, reward 1 is 5. Divide by 6 is 5/6ths so becomes 1. location 4, opposition 4, reward 3 is 11 which is 11/6ths or 2. The minimum is 1 (for sums 1 to 6) and the maximum is 3 (for a sum 13 to 18); a sum of 7-11 is 2 XP. I may just spell it out like this as it did confuse me when I first wrote it too!

      Delete
    2. If you are using the optional zone rules - which "location" number is in play here? The result of zone roll? The sub-roll for the zone location? I guess I have the same question about the opposition but I think that one is more clear - it should be the result of the opposition class roll (but not the more detailed result from the optional class tables.)

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, very unclear. For the main rules it is the location die roll number , the opposition amount (not dice roll) and reward die roll number. If using the optional zone and location rules, it is the location die roll number (yeah, not the zone - I have confused myself by changing the locations in the main rules to be zones in the optional!), the opposition amount (not dice roll) and reward die roll number.

      I don't use the class die roll to calculate XP.

      Delete
  7. Ahh, ok. That’s clearer then - thanks so much for answering all my questions!

    ReplyDelete